Dysport is an injection containing abobotulinumtoxinA (Botulinum toxin type A). AbobotulinumtoxinA is made from the bacteria that causes botulism. Botulinum toxin blocks nerve activity in the muscles, causing a temporary reduction in muscle activity.
Dysport is used in adults to treat cervical dystonia (abnormal head position and neck pain).
Dysport is also used to treat muscle spasms and stiffness (spasticity) of the arms, hands, legs, and feet in adults and children at least 2 years old. This medicine will not treat spasticity caused by cerebral palsy.
You should not receive Dysport if you are allergic to botulinum toxin or cow’s milk, or if you have an infection, swelling, or muscle weakness in the area where the medicine will be injected.
You should not receive Dysport if you are allergic to botulinum toxin or cow’s milk, or if you have an infection in the area where the medicine will be injected. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a side effect after receiving botulinum toxin in the past.
To make sure it is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or “Lou Gehrig’s disease”);
- myasthenia gravis;
- Lambert-Eaton syndrome;
- a breathing disorder such as asthma or emphysema;
- problems with swallowing;
- facial muscle weakness (droopy eyelids, weak forehead, trouble raising your eyebrows);
- a change in the normal appearance of your face;
- a seizure disorder;
- bleeding problems;
- a heart rhythm disorder;
- dry eyes after after receiving botulinum toxin in the past;
- a recent or planned surgery (especially on your face); or
- other botulinum toxin injections such as Botox, Myobloc, or Xeomin
- trouble breathing, talking, or swallowing;
- hoarse voice, drooping eyelids;
- problems with vision;
- unusual or severe muscle weakness (especially in a body area that was not injected with the medication);
- pain or burning when you urinate, red or pink urine;
- loss of bladder control; or
- vision changes, eye pain, severely dry or irritated eyes (your eyes may also be more sensitive to light)